History

VFW History

The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service; many arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans pensions for them, and they were left to care for themselves.

In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed organizations with what would become known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. By 1915, membership grew to 5,000; by 1936, membership was almost 200,000. The VFW was chartered by an act of the 74th Congress May 28, 1936.

History of Our Post

Marion Post 661 traces its origin to March 16, 1921. Veterans of the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection and WWI organized the post.  The land for the post building was donated by a post member and in 1938 the construction of the building began. The builders were craftsman members of the post and many post members donated their own money to buy the materials. The building was constructed to standards that were well above the norm of the time. The building was ready for occupation just before the beginning of WWII. Some of the workers were the children of the craftsman members and became members themselves as they joined the battle.

 

Image3 Image4 Image6 Image7 Image12 Image17